Make a spring meal with these 5 easy spring dinner recipes. Spring is heralded by the arrival of lamb, tender vegetables and fresh berries. These recipes combine the spring bounty to make a memorable spring dinner.
If you want to make lamb shanks for your spring dinner, you will need:
- 4 pounds lamb shanks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- Brown the lamb in a large skillet in oil over medium heat. Drain fat.
- Combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over the lamb. Simmer for one and a half hours, until tender. Remove the meat.
- Turn the pan up to medium high and boil the juices for eight minutes. Take out the bay leaf. Skim the fat. Serve as the sauce over the meat.
If you want to makes peas and new potatoes as a side dish for your spring dinner, you will need:
- 1 pound small new potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 ½ cups fresh peas or frozen
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the potatoes in a sauce pan and cook for ten to twelve minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Add the peas and cook for six to ten minutes more, until the peas are tender. Drain.
- In a skillet melt the butter and sauté the onion. Cook until golden.
- Stir in the peas and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
If you want to make the perfect spring dessert, fresh strawberry pie, you will need:
- 1 ½ quarts fresh strawberries, hulled
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Mash half of the strawberries. Put them in a saucepan. Combine with the sugar and cornstarch.
- Cook over medium low heat for six minutes. Then mix in the lemon juice.
- Once cooled add the remaining strawberries. Pour the mixture into the pie crust.
If you want to make fried okra as a spring side dish, you will need:
- 1 pound fresh okra, sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Beat the egg in a bowl. Add milk. Add the okra. Let it sit for ten minutes.
- In another bowl put the cornmeal. Mix in the flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a deep saucepan over medium-high heat. Dredge okra in the coating mixture.
- Deep fry okra until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels.
To make cheddar chive biscuits for your spring dinner, you will need:
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- ¾ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives, minced
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put the flour into a bowl, add sugar, baking powder and salt and mix together.
- Cut in the butter until the butter is pea-sized. Add the chives and cheese.
- Add the buttermilk. Stir just until combined. Drop onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for fifteen to eighteen minutes. Take out of the oven when golden brown. Keep warm.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
8 Things All Guys Should Stop Doing by Age 30
You're a man now, dog.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”