Looking for 5 easy summer lunch recipes that are quick and just right for the season? Slaving over a hot stove during the midday heat is not something that most people enjoy. Take advantage of some pre-planned leftovers and fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables with these 5 easy summer lunch recipes will make lunchtime simple, delicious and cool.
Vegetable sandwiches are a great option for a summer lunch. To make these sandwiches, you will need:
- 2 to 3 red, ripe tomato slices
- 1 sliced red onion with the rings separated
- 5 to 6 cucumber slices
- 1 slice Provolone or Swiss cheese (optional)
- 2 slices thick Tuscan bread or whole grain wheat bread
- Mayonnaise or low-fat ranch dressing
- Build the sandwich. Beginning with one slice of bread, layer the vegetables and cheese neatly onto the bread. Spread the remaining bread slice with mayonnaise or ranch dressing and top the sandwich.
- Slice, garnish and serve the sandwich. Slice the sandwich down the center with a sharp knife, garnish with a pickle spear and serve with a piece of fruit, yogurt or oven-baked chips.
A shredded chicken sandwich is a tasty lunch option for the summer. For this easy recipe, you will need:
- 4 ounces chicken, cooked and shredded
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped tomato
- A whole wheat burrito shell
- Create the chicken sandwich filling. Combine the shredded chicken, mustard and mayonnaise in a small mixing bowl.
- Build the wrapped sandwich and serve. Add the meat filling to a warmed burrito shell. Top with lettuce and tomato and fold the burrito shell to wrap around the filling either in a soft taco fashion or completely enclosed by folding up the bottom of the shell.
A tuna salad sandwich is a summer classic and a lunchtime treat. For this recipe, you will need:
- 4 ounces canned tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 sweet Gherkin pickles, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A whole wheat bread bun or burrito shell
- Make the tuna salad. Combine the tuna, mayonnaise, celery seed, sweet pickles and salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl.
- Garnish and serve the sandwich. Top with lettuce and tomato and serve with a side salad or fruit salad.
This fresh summer fruit salad is sure to be a lunchtime hit this summer. For this recipe, you will need:
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup green or red seedless grapes
- 1 cup seedless watermelon, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup cantaloupe, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Combine and serve the fruit salad. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and toss.
- Serve in one-cup portions alongside your favorite summer sandwich.
A banana berry smoothie makes a nice finish to a summer lunch. For this recipe, you will need:
- 1 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 medium banana
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons honey or sugar
- 1/2 cup cubed ice
- Add the smoothie ingredients to the blender. Add the yogurt, milk, bananas, strawberries and sweetener to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour and serve the smoothie. Pour the smoothie into a tall glass and serve with fresh granola or granola bars.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.