These 5 easy vegan recipes for Samhain will make your harvest table not only beautiful but delicious as well. Samhain is celebrated in the fall when the great fall vegetables make it easy to prepare a vegan meal.
Pumpkin Ginger Soup for Samhain
- 1 small cooking pumpkin
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- salt to taste
- Cover cashews with water and let soak for several hours
- Cut pumpkin in half and remove seeds. Bake cut side down for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Scrape pumpkin guts out and puree in a blender.
- Remove and put in a cooking pot. Puree cashews in blender and add to pumpkin.
- Add water until puree is at a good soup thickness.
- Add ginger and salt to taste and heat through to blend flavors.
Vegan Samhain Carrots
- 8 oz. package of baby carrots
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 tsp. dried red pepper seeds
- 1 tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground clove
- 1/2 tsp. ground all spice
- In a small saucepan mix carrots with the rest of the ingredients. Coat carrots thoroughly.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat sitrring often. As it thickens stir constantly so it does not scorch.
- Remove from heat when carrots are crisp tender.
Vegan Pumpkin Treats for Samhain
- 1 cup canned pumpkiin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup flaked coconut, lightly packed
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- Mix the first 5 ingredients in a large saucepan. Cook over medium high heat stirring constantly for 15-20 minutes.
- When it is thick and forms a ball in the center as you stir it is done.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover loosely with foil
- Let cool completely. Lightly grease hands and shape into small balls. Roll balls in the nuts.
- Store covered in the fridge.
Colcannon for the Vegan Sanheim Celebration
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 1/2 cups cabbage, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped and sauted
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. white pepper
- Place all ingredients in a pan except for cabbage. Cook over low heat and blend together.
- Bring heat to medium and add cabbage.
- Stir until warm.
Vegan Samhain Remembrance Cookies
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. chopped rosemary
- In a large bowl beat sugar, butter, egg, vanilla, almod extract, and rosemary until creamy.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar.
- Fold flour mixture into sugar mixture. Beat until dough forms. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out portions and use gingerbread cookie cutters to cut shapes of men and women.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 5 to 7 minutes.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
Why Your Wife May Be Unhappy in Your Marriage and How it Can...
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.