5 Easy Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes
If you anticipate hosting guests who prefer to not eat meat, try one of these 5 easy vegetarian Thanksgiving recipes. These vegetarian recipes will fit well on any Thanksgiving table, and just might be gobbled up before the turkey.
1. Fancy Macaroni and Cheese
To make fancy macaroni and cheese, you will need:
- 1 lb. pasta, macaroni or shells preferable
- 1 qt. of milk
- Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, cut into 1 tbsp. pieces
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 4 cups of Gruyere cheese, grated
- 8 oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 tbsp. black pepper and nutmeg
- 4 small tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups of bread crumbs, panko (Japanese bread crumbs) preferred
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter or spray the inside of baking pan at least two inches deep.
- Cook macaroni. Follow the instructions listed on packaging.
- Heat milk in saucepan and then add in 6 tbsp. of butter and flour.
- After two minutes take off the stove and add cheeses, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Stir thoroughly and pour into dish and top with bread crumbs.
- Cook for 30 to 35 minutes.
2. Green Bean Casserole
To make green bean casserole, you will need:
- 2 lbs. thin green beans
- 2 large red onions, diced
- 1 stick of butter
- 2, 10 oz. cans of cream of mushroom soup
- 3 diced and seeded small tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and butter the inside of a baking dish.
- Microwave beans in shallow bowl with one inch of water for two minutes, remove from microwave and drain.
- Saute onion in butter.
- When onions become translucent, add green beans and canned mushroom soup.
- Mix well and bake for ten minutes. Top with tomatoes.
3, Roasted Red Potatoes
To make roasted red potatoes, you will need the following:
- 1 lb. small red potatoes, rinsed, washed and cut into equal pieces
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Paprika, onion salt, pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place potatoes into an oven-proof pot or ceramic dish (preferred).
- Add olive oil and other ingredients to taste.
- Bake, stirring once for one hour. Recipe can be doubled easily and shortened by raising the temperature to 400 degrees and baking for only 30 minutes.
4. Artichoke Spinach Dip
To make artichoke spinach dip, you will need:
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 cup drained and chopped artichoke hearts, sized large
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all ingredients, aside from bread into bowl. Mix together and place into pie dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until top is slightly brown and edges begin to bubble.
- Recipe can be easily doubled and cooked for the same amount of time. Slice bread and serve alongside dish. Toasting bread is optional.
To make risotto, you will need:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 lb. arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4-6 cups of chicken stock
- Tofu, if desired
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan, add onions and garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add rice and stir for three to five minutes, then add wine and stir over medium heat until wine is completely absorbed.
- Add chicken stock one half cup at a time, stirring each time until completely absorbed.
- If adding tofu, sauté tofu in another pan with garlic, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove from heat when brown, add to risotto.