5 Essential Kayak Fishing Accessories
When it comes to the 5 essential kayak fishing accessories, space is essential. Instead of tossing everything in your garage into your kayak, you only need a few essential items to have a great fishing trip in your kayak. Here are five of the best.
- Fishing Rod Holder. You need to find a way to secure your fishing rod while you’re in the kayak. There are dozens of commercial rod holders available. If you’re crafty, you can make your own. This frees your hands to do other things while you’re in the kayak. Scotty makes a triple rod holder that allows you to use three rods at once.
- Gimbal Mount. This allows you to customize your fishing rod holder on your kayak. It makes it easier to adjust the angle of your fishing rod. The Scotty gimbal mount works well with the Scotty rod holder, to customize the angle of your rod holder.
- Rod Leash. When you hook onto the fish of your dreams, and it takes off, a rod leash in your kayak while help you to hold onto your favorite fishing rod. Surf to Summit has a great selection of rod leashes.
- Fish Finder. When you’re trying out a new area with your kayak, an electronic fish finder will help you get to the best fishing areas. Some models also include basic weather information and basic navigation information. Once you get there, it’s up to you to catch the fish. Garmin has long been the industry leader among fish finders.
- Bait Tank. When you're serious about fishing, you need live bait for many fish. The Hook Bait Tank allows you to keep your bait alive while you're on your kayak—as long as you have enough six-volt batteries.
Remember, the sport is called fishing, not catching. There is no guarantee that you will come home with fish. But, if you use the essential kayak fishing tools on this list, at least you’ll give yourself a fighting chance.