5 Essential Oils Benefits
You've heard people talk about how aromatherapy can have health benefits and, believe it or not, the five best essential oils benefits can give you many proven physical and psychological benefits. Here is a review of the top five benefits, and some suggestions about how to use these oils.
- Boost mood and reduce stress. Essential oils have strong scents that enter the body through the nose and travel directly to the brain’s limbic system, and the psychological benefits of using essential oils can be quite dramatic. The limbic system is the system that controls mood and emotions. Many people use scents such a lavender, chamomile, and peppermint to increase relaxation and elevate mood. These oils can be used during therapeutic massage or they can be inhaled using a mist or candle.
- Treat insomnia. Hospital studies have shown that lavender, mandarin, and cardamom oils have sleep-inducing benefits. Patients benefit from the calming effects the essential oils have on the central nervous system, and they are able to sleep more easily.
- Strengthen immune system. Both oregano and lemon essential oils benefit the immune system. Cinnamon also has positive effects on the functioning of the pancreas and digestive system. In Chinese medicine, the pancreas and spleen are the organs that regulate the immune system. Keeping these organs in top shape will benefit your immune system.
- Reduce inflammation. Oregano, wintergreen, and frankincense essential oils all have anti-inflammatory benefits. These can be used with acute inflammation such as an injury or a virus or chronic inflammation such as arthritis. These essential oils calm the inflammation, which promotes healing.
- Reduce pain. Some essential oils, such as lavender, lemongrass and clove, have pain-reducing benefits because they numb the skin. Others, such as ginger and birch, reduce pain because they have compounds similar to aspirin that disrupt the pain signals that travel to the brain.
There are plenty of studies about the use of essential oils in health and wellness, and the greatest benefit is that essential oils can provide some relief without the use of pharmaceutical medications.