Choosing one of the 5 best external hard drives for your PS3 will ensure that you get the best storage option for your Play Station 3. Any external hard drive that you choose should be fast, have large storage capacity, and a USB connector. Choosing a hard drive with at least 7200 RPMs and USB 2.0 will prevent PS3 performance lags that can occur with older slower hard drives.
Nearly all external hard drives are formatted with the NTFS file system that is not usable by the PS3. The PS3 requires the FAT32 file system in order to function properly. Most drives will have to be reformatted before they can be used with your PS3.
- LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 External Hard Drive. The LaCie external hard drive features 500 GB of storage capacity and USB 2.0 compatibility. The rugged design means you won't have to worry if you accidentally knock over the hard drive during while gaming. The drive is rugged enough to withstand drops from up to seven feet. It is also one of the fastest hard drives on the market clocking in at 110MB/s.
- Seagate GoFlex Pro External Hard Drive. Seagate's GoFlex Pro hard drive is ultra-portable and includes backup software to save all of your games and movies. You can choose from either the 500 GB or 750 GB drive in addition to choosing USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 compatibility. The Play Station 3 does not currently support USB 3.0 so you should save yourself a few dollars and get the model that uses USB 2.0.
- Western Digital My Book 3.0 External Hard Drive. This Western Digital hard drive may not be as portable as other external hard drives, but it does offer the largest storage capacity of all the drives on this list with 1-2 Terabytes depending on the model you select. The hard drive offers USB 3.0 support, but it is backwards compatible with USB 2.0.
- Iomega eGo Jet Black Desktop External Hard Drive. The Iomega hard drive is available with either a 1 TB or 2 TB storage capacity. The drive's base is very stable so you won't have to worry about knocking it over if your gaming gets out of hand. The eGo is a durable external hard drive, but it isn't very portable.
- Hitachi LifeStudio Desk Plus External Hard Drive. This Hitachi drive is available with multiple storage capacities ranging from 500 GB to 2 TB. While it is not as portable as many other external hard drives, this drive has the distinction of utilizing a detachable USB key that will allow you to take your PS3 files with you when you go to a friend's house to play without compromising the data on your entire drive.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …