5 Facts About Penis Piercings
If you are considering this hard core body modification, then you should read over 5 facts about penis piercings. Now if just the idea of a sharp object near that rather delicate area of your body turns your stomach, then you might want to consider a different body piercing. There are health risks as there are with any kind of body modification. You should consult with your doctor or the artist doing the piercing about the risks associated with penis piercings and the proper care.
- The procedure is simple. While there are health risks, the actual process of a penis piercing is relatively simple. First, the skin is punctured by a needle that should be sterile. Next, a bar or ring is put through the new opening.
- That mark might last forever. Most piercings can leave a light scar. Due to the elasticity of the skin around the penis, there is an increased chance for scar tissue. There is also a chance that the hole might never grow up, unlike other piercings.
- Wearing condoms can be difficult. Condoms that are very tight will irritate the piercing. Condoms that are thinner to help increase sensitivity for the man have a higher risk of ripping after having a penis piercing. It is recommended that you use a sturdy condom that has enough room so that is does not bother your piercing.
- A higher risk for urinary infections. Due to the irritation and the placing of the jewelry, you have a higher chance of getting a urinary infection. To lower this risk, make sure you clean the area of the piercing daily. You should also make sure it is clean after sex and urinating.
- The most common gauge of a penis piercing is ten. After the piercing has initially healed, you can slow stretch it to a thicker piercing. This should be done by your piercing artist or at least discussed with them beforehand. A very large gauge or heavy jewelry can cause thinning of the tissue. You should discuss changing the size and type of jewelry with your artist until you are familiar with how your body will handle the change.