These 5 facts about the PS3 cell processor can help you understand how the system works and how it came to be. The PlayStation 3 is the third line of this popular video game system. A cell processor affects the basic operations and capabilities of the PS3.
- The PS3 cell processor was developed by several corporations. IBM, Sony and Toshiba developed the PS3 cell processor. These companies also refer to the cell processor as a microprocessor when referring to its design. IBM was the main corporation in charge of developing this specific technology utilized in the PlayStation 3.
- Sony used the cell processor for PlayStation 3. The Playstation 3 was developed and distributed by Sony. Sony decided to use the cell processor in the PS3 because it was designed to be used with various systems from handheld devices to mainframe computers. The PS3 was released by Sony in the spring of 2006.
- The PS3 cell processor has several components. One configuration of the cell processor includes a Processing Element (or PE) and a total of eight Synergistic Processing Units (or SPUs). PEs are the main processor and are also used in Apple computers. SPUs are used to compute data within the system and are partly controlled by the PE.
- SPUs affect the speed and memory of the PS3 cell processor. Every one of the eight SPUs within the cell processor are actually a 128-bit processor, which helps the speed of the PlayStation 3. The vector processors also help the memory by supplying 256 KB of storage space.
- The PE helps the process along by loading programs and data as needed. This is accomplished at very fast speeds because the PE controls the SPUs, passing data along from to the next. The speeds are fast enough that PS3 users are not aware that these processes are taken place. The data can be passed along, loaded and stored in one seamless process of the PS3 cell processor.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.