5 Famous Athletes Who Used Steroids
Presented here are 5 famous athletes who used steroids. Certainly this list is not exhaustive, as many have admitted or have tested positive for banned substances. Here are five famous athletes who have been caught using steroids.
- Roger Clemens. Clemens has caught much fire for using steroids, launching investigations in baseball in the matter. Clemens has also been involved in legal proceedings regarding his obstructions of legal matters.
- Alex Rodriguez. Rodriguez has admitted to using steroids from 2001 to 2003 in response to pressure to perform. While he has set many impressive records, his legacy is cloudy due to these circumstances.
- Sammy Sosa. Reportedly Sosa tested positive for steroids in 2003. However, this has been a matter of debate, sparking rage of Sosa's possible induction in the Hall of Fame.The MLB has not reacted thus far to the allegations.
- Jose Canseco. Canseco authored a book admitting his use of steroids. The book also stated that most other players in the MLB used them, which has led to further investigations and outrage. Cansceo played a large role in giving up other players individually, such as Rafael Palmeiro and Alex Rodriguez.
- Manny Ramirez. Ramirez has tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs, in 2003 and 2009. The latter gave Ramirez a 50-game ban. Ramirez and other represent some of the many personalities in baseball and in other sports who have tested positive for steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs. Specifically to baseball, it has led to a steroid era of sorts, which has drawn fire from many critics.
Posted on: Sep. 30, 2010