Latin America has provided the major leagues with some of the biggest stars in baseball history, leaving many great names to choose from when selecting 5 famous baseball players from Puerto Rico. Following are five men whose names are legendary not only in their native land, but also in the annals of baseball.
- Roberto Clemente. Still hailed as a hero in Puerto Rico, the 1966 National League MVP award winner finished his career with exactly 3,000 hits and a lifetime batting average of .317. Blessed with perhaps the greatest arm of any outfielder in baseball history, Roberto Clemente also won 12 Gold Gloves during his 18-year Hall-of-Fame career—all with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Throw in a .362 batting average in two World Series and you have the greatest and most famous baseball player from Puerto Rico of all time.
- Orlando Cepeda. This big first baseman won the 1958 Rookie-of-the-Year award with the Giants and was named the 1967 National League MVP as a Cardinal. But his greatest season may have been 1961 when he led the league with 46 homers and 142 RBI while batting .311. Finishing his career with 379 home runs and a .297 lifetime average, Hall-of-Famer Orlando Cepeda ranks second on our list of 5 famous baseball players from Puerto Rico.
- Ivan Rodriguez. One of the most decorated catchers in baseball history is Ivan Rodriguez who has taken home 13 Gold Gloves and the 1999 American League MVP award as a Texas Ranger. Entering the 2010 season with 305 career home runs, more than 2,700 hits, and a .299 lifetime average, “Pudge” earns a spot on our list of 5 famous Puerto Rican baseball players.
- Roberto Alomar. This 10-time Gold Glove winning second baseman finished his 17-year career with a .300 average, 210 home runs, and 2,724 hits. The switch-hitter also led the Toronto Blue Jays to back-to-back World Series titles in 1992 and ’93 while posting a .347 average in the two Fall Classics. Ranking among the greatest second basemen of all time, Roberto Alomar is one of the game’s 5 most famous baseball players from Puerto Rico.
- Carlos Delgado. Through 2009, Carlos Delgado was number one among his fellow countrymen in career home runs with 473 earning him the final spot on our list of 5 famous baseball players from Puerto Rico. Three times the slugging Blue Jays first baseman topped 40 homers in a season and in 2003 led the American League with 145 runs batted in. In his only post season (2006 with the Mets), Delgado batted .351 while belting 4 home runs in 10 games.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?