Five famous male Italian soccer players include some of the classic players and a few newcomers to the sport. European football, called soccer in the United States, involves fierce competition. Some of its players are known for a particular style, while others make a name for themselves for their determination and skill in playing a particular position or side.
- Roberto Baggio, II Divin Codino, translated as "The Divine Ponytail." Rallying the Italian team in 1994 to the World Cup final, Baggio is widely recognized as one of the five famous, male, Italian soccer players. His goal making is notorious throughout the world. Baggio, now retired, played for AC Milan, Internatzionale, Fiorentina and Juventus.
- Dino Zoff. Goalkeeper Zoff is known throughout the world for his calm and determination. Dino Zoff was the captain of the Italian team in 1982 and is a World Cup winner. He is one of the five famous, male, Italian soccer players.
- Franco Baresi, also known as "Piscinin" meaning "Little One." Baresi is a famous Italian soccer player who has never won a World Cup. Baresi played defender for Milan. He was a famous team captain from the late 1980s through the 1990s.
- Gianluigi "Gigi" Buffon. Goalkeeping is tough work and Buffon is one of football's best when it came to this area. Buffon played for Parma during his peak play years. He won an Italian FIFA World Cup and a UEFA Cup. Buffon was named to the Serie A a total of nine times.
- Silvio Piola. The historic ranks of famous, male, Italian soccer players includes Piola, a player during the 1920s through the 1940s. Piola is a World Cup winner. He played for Pro Vercelli, Lazio, Torino, Juventus and Novara. People in the soccer world know the name Piola as one of the inventors of the "bicycle kick."
Galeano, Eduardo. "Soccer in the Sun and Shadow." Verso, 2003.
Foot, John. "Winning at All Costs: A Scandalous History of Italian Soccer." Nation Books, 2007.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."