5 Fashion Photography Tips
Use these 5 fashion photography tips to take shots that turn heads. Photograph models indoors or out to highlight their beauty and the gorgeous outfits they wear. Jump-start your fashion photography know-how with these five fashion photography tips.
- Chat up your models. Make them feel at ease, so you get natural, uninhibited poses. Give them a lot of verbal feedback so they know when they are on the right track with their mood and body position.
- Get an assistant. Ask the assistant to lug extra equipment on location. Teach this person to know what all of your equipment is for so they can quickly hand you the right gadget when you need it. This frees you to make the artistic shots you need, instead of worrying about details a helper can take care of.
- Choose a background location that enhances the fashion photography. Look for background hues that contrast or complement the color of the clothing you are highlighting. Try making the background a little blurry by using a wide aperture and a telephoto lens.
- Use a reflector outdoors. Have your assistant hold a reflector to bounce light onto your subject. Get a good exposure that shows detail well in this way.
- Use Photoshop. Fix any technical mistakes in your fashion photography. Learn to crop, brighten, fix contrast, change the direction of the light source, erase blemishes, change colors and more. You can offer your fashion photography clients extra value when you become a Photoshop expert and use it effectively.