If you prefer root canals to first dates, then these 5 first date tips are here to make your life easier. First dates don't have to be miserable! A first date is a bit like a job interview, so it's understandable that it could be a bit nerve wracking. But you can take some of the pressure off of both of you and maybe even ensure that you get a second date by following these five first date tips.
- Keep It Simple, Stupid. Too many men make the mistake of trying to pull out all the stops and really impress a lady with everything they've got on the first date. The standard movie date is another lame idea, because there's no chance of getting to know each other when you spend 2 hours in silence watching the flick. Instead, try a lunch date or simply meeting for coffee. Less time, less money, less pressure – but a time to talk and get to know a little about each other and find out whether date number two is a possibility.
- Do something fun. If you feel like you absolutely have to do something more than a cup of coffee, find an activity that will be fun together. A trip to a zoo or museum, the beach or the circus are all first date ideas that give you something to do and things to talk about so you can avoid those awkward silences.
- Don't talk about your ex! This is one of the worst things you can do on a first date. You'll come across as whiny and complaining. Worse, it will look like you aren't over the ex, and no woman wants to deal with that.
- Don't yalk about your defects. The first date is not the time to talk about your third nipple or your botched circumcision. Or how you blew a bunch of money on the foreign exchange market, for that matter. She's looking for a nice, relatively normal guy. That's all you have to be. Don't give her reasons not to like you. Women are much more accepting about little flaws when they already have time and emotion invested in the relationship. The only time this rule doesn't apply is if you have something that might be an absolute deal breaker, like a terminal, contagious disease. In that case, it's best to be straight up about it from the start.
- When in doubt, ask about her. The best way to make someone feel comfortable is to get them talking about themselves. Be careful not to come across like the prosecuting attorney, but ask her about her job, her family, her pets. Those are all topics that work to get a conversation started on a first date.
So stay positive! First dates don't have to be as difficult as you think they are. Don't worry so much about impressing her, and concentrate more on just getting to know each other. That's what these five first date tips are all about, learning about each other and finding out if there's going to be anything more than just one date.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
10 Mind-Blowing Necktie Knots
“How many knots are there?” you ask. Dozens, at least, most of which will totally amaze you.
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…