There are many treatments for hair loss, but if you want natural alternatives, try these 5 foods to eat for hair growth. Many traditional treatments can have side effects, and they can end up costing thousands of dollars. Some causes of hair loss include heredity, stress, inadequate nutrition and high levels of the hormone DHT. Eating foods that promote hair growth will provide a more healthy diet while reducing elevated testosterone levels in men.
- Protein. Hair is made of protein, so a diet that provides ample amounts is essential for its growth. Foods that are high in protein, but low in fat, are liver, lean meats, beans, fish and tofu. Dairy options that are high in protein include cottage cheese, eggs and yogurt. Many men benefit from this type of low-fat diet, which slows down the rate in which hair is lost.
- Iron. Foods high in iron are essential for hair growth, and large amounts of it can be found in dark, green, leafy vegetables. Other foods that are rich in iron are whole grain cereals, dates and raisins. Seafoods, such as oysters, tuna, clams, salmon and shrimp, are other good options for getting enough iron and promoting hair growth.
- B vitamins. These vitamins are essential for hair maintenance and growth. To ensure that you consume the daily recommended amount, be sure your diet includes eggs, lean meat and poultry. Chicken is a great source of B vitamins, and there are many recipes to choose from. A supplement can also be taken, but it’s best to get your vitamins and nutrients from food for the best results.
- Essential fatty acids. These fatty acids can be found in walnuts, fish, soy and canola oil. These can mainly be obtained through diet and they are the good fats that many men’s diets lack, but they are essential to maintaining hair growth. Other foods that fall into this category are flaxseed oil, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and pine nuts.
- Vitamin E. This vitamin has antioxidant properties that are vital to hair growth. Foods to eat that include vitamin E are avocados, olive oil, seeds and nuts. Some foods to snack on to increase your vitamin E are almonds, hazelnuts, peanut butter, spinach, broccoli and kiwi. This vitamin can also be taken as a supplement; fifteen milligrams a day is recommended for men.
These 5 foods to eat for hair growth will ensure that your diet includes the required vitamins and nutrients. Hair loss will affect fifty percent of men at some time in their lives, but sticking to a diet rich in protein, iron, B vitamins, essential fatty acids and vitamin E will go a long way in slowing the progression of hair loss and promoting new growth.