5 Foods That Give You Gas
Looking for the 5 foods that give you gas?
Unfortunately, some of the healthiest foods you eat are the foods that give you gas. Some carbohydrates (sugar, fiber, and starches) found in foods are not digested by the body and enter into the large intestine. Here, bacteria breaks down the undigested food producing the gases hydrogen, carbon dioxide and methane. These gases eventually leave the body through the rectum, odorless. Foods that contain sulfur are responsible for the smelly gas.
Most people produce between one and four pints of gas each day, although, not all gas is caused by food (some is caused by swallowing too much air). While gas cannot be completely eliminated, there are over-the-counter products, lactase supplements, and probiotics that may help in reducing the amount of gas your body produces. Listed below are some common foods that give you gas.
- Beans: All beans, including adzuki beans, anasazi beans, black beans, black-eyed peas, chickpeas, soybeans, fava beans, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, and soy nuts, can give you gas.
- Fruits & vegetables: Fruits and vegetables that can give you gas include: cabbage, brussels sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, onions, apples, oranges, bananas, and prunes.
- Nuts: Nuts contain soluble fiber which cannot be digested by the body and may give you gas.
- Whole grains: Whole grains that can give you gas are barley, oat bran, flaxseed, and wheat.
- Starchy foods: Starchy foods that give you gas include: wheat, potatoes, corn and pasta. The only starchy food that does not give you gas is rice.
Source Digestive Diseases