Here are 5 foods that give you heartburn, whether the heartburn is occasional or chronic. Eliminating and/or reducing these items from your diet can help you make great strides in preventing heartburn and providing relief.
- Fruit. Fruit makes the list of 5 foods that give you heartburn namely because of the citrus content. However, this food is essential for a healthy diet and should not be completely eliminated. Rather, you should be cautious about the kind of fruit that you consume. Lemons, grapefruits, oranges, limes and tomatoes have the highest acidity and are more likely to cause heartburn.
- Chocolate. Chocolate is also among the top foods that contribute to heartburn, but by a different mechanism. Chocolate actually alters the body's natural response to prevent acidic contents from entering the esophagus and/or throat.
- Garlic and onions. These tasty foods are usually found in other dishes and are considered one of the most common 5 foods that give you heartburn by the National Institute of Health. Using alternate flavoring for desired entrees or using these items sparingly can significantly reduce heartburn.
- Dairy products. These may not seem like a likely culprit of heartburn, but they can be. This is especially so if the dairy products are whole or of creamy consistency. Whole dairy products are high in fat and consumption of fatty foods tends to increase the frequency and intensity of heartburn.
- Peppermint. Peppermint, lastly, is one of the top 5 foods that can cause heartburn. This can include peppermint teas, candy, and other food items with peppermint flavoring.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...