Avoid awful abdominal tightness and fullness by finding out the 5 foods that make you bloated. Bloating can become so intense that it causes your stomach to physically appear swollen. Although this may be a symptom of a more serious disorder, eating certain foods is the most common cause of a bloated stomach.
- Beans. Everyone has heard the children’s rhyme, “Beans, Beans, the Musical Fruit.” Baked beans, lima beans and refried beans can all make you bloated. Beans contain oligosaccharides, molecules that must be broken down by anti-oligosaccharide enzymes. This process creates gas in your large intestine that causes you to feel bloated.
- Dairy Products: Milk, cheese and yogurt are among the foods that make you bloated. Dairy products contain a milk sugar called lactose. The enzyme, lactase, is needed to digest this milk sugar. If your body does not produce sufficient lactase to break down lactose, you will develop bloating.
- Carbonated Drinks. Although sodas and other carbonated drinks are delicious treats, they can cause you to feel bloated. The same carbon dioxide bubbles that make your drinks fizzy, cause excess gas to build up in your belly and make you bloated.
- Vegetables. Eating three to five servings of vegetables is an important part of a healthy diet. Unfortunately, the carbohydrates found in vegetables can make you bloated. Certain vegetables are more likely to cause bloating. These include asparagus, artichokes, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce and onions.
- Alcohol. Drinking too much alcohol can cause many serious health problems as well as make you feel bloated. Alcohol contains large amounts of wheat and grain products which cause gas in your large intestine. The trapped gas makes you feel uncomfortable and bloated.
- Keep a bloat diary to help you determine which foods make you bloated.
- Drink at least eight glasses of water each day to help flush out your digestive system.
- Avoid foods and drinks that are filled with large amounts of sodium.
- Getting enough exercise will help with overall digestive health.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …