5 Foods That Make You Regular
Constipation can be avoided by eating more of the five foods that make you regular. Constipation is characterized by difficulty passing bowel movements. The stool itself may be hard, dry and small. Because it's hard and dry, it's more difficult for it to pass through the intestines. As long as constipation isn't caused by some other underlying medical condition, a change in eating habits can usually remedy the situation. And, eating more of these five foods that make you regular are a good way to go about it.
- Whole grain rice and bread: White bread and white rice are two major causes of constipation. Simply by switching to higher fiber foods, whole grain rice and whole grain breads, you can bulk up your fiber intake. Fiber helps to absorb liquids in the stool (poop) which makes it softer and easier to pass. Fiber is good. Eat whole grains!
- Raw fruits and vegetables: While any fruits and vegetables are better for you than none, cooking tends to break down the fiber, meaning it doesn't work as well. So, eat lots foods like apples, watermelon, carrot sticks and raw broccoli. Not only is it more fiber, these foods also contain high volumes of water, which again will help keep your stool softer. One caveat: Avoid eating too many bananas, as they can actually have the opposite affect.
- Bran cereals and oatmeal: A bowl of a bran cereal or oatmeal every morning can go a long way towards keeping you regular. Many people find that after eating a high bran breakfast, they'll feel the need to move their bowels in about an hour. There are breakfast cereals that are made of 100% bran, so try one of these foods out.
- Prunes: It might sound like something your grandpa would say, but eating prunes is a time tested way to alleviate constipation. They're high in fiber and potassium, making them a natural laxative to get things moving. Dried figs can also help.
- Water: Okay, you're right. Water's not a food. But, drinking plenty of it is the single most important thing you can do to cure or prevent constipation. All the high fiber food in the world isn't going to help if there's not enough fluid in your system to absorb. So, put down the sodas and energy drinks and start drinking some H2O.