Discovering the 5 foods that make you sleepy can help prevent the urge to nap after meals. Tryptophan, an essential amino acid found in some foods, produces serotonin which promotes healthy sleep. Consuming tryptophan-containing foods along with high carbohydrate foods are likely to make you sleepy.
- Turkey. It is common to see family members sprawled out on the couch or napping in a leather chair after a big Thanksgiving meal. Like most poultry, turkey contains tryptophan. Turkey is usually consumed with high carbohydrate foods including stuffing, potato salad and candied yams. Eating these foods together will make you sleepy.
- Warm Milk. Remember being a child and having your mother bring you a cup of warm milk on nights when you couldn’t sleep? Milk contains both carbohydrates and natural sleep agents. Drinking a cup can make you sleepy.
- Oatmeal. A large bowl of oatmeal may be a healthy breakfast, but it can also make you feel sleepy. In addition to tryptophan and carbohydrates, oats also contain melatonin. Melatonin helps to regulate sleeping patterns.
- Almonds. If you are having trouble falling asleep, a handful of almonds may be your solution. Almonds are a rich source of sleeping-inducing tryptophan. Magnesium, a nutrient proven to induce sleepiness, is also found in almonds.
- Potatoes. French fries, hash browns, baked potatoes and mashed potatoes can all make you feel sleepy after eating them. Packed with high-starch carbohydrates and tryptophan, potatoes can induce sleeping. Next time you are deciding what to have for lunch, you may want to skip that extra large fries unless you want to fall asleep at work.
- Keep a food diary to help you determine which foods make you feel sleepy.
- Prevent daytime drowsiness by saving the foods with high levels of tryptophan for dinner instead of eating them for breakfast.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Speakeasy: Jonathan Banks
The Emmy-nominated Breaking Bad star talks Beverly Hills Cop, Wiseguy, sitcom work and his new flick with Danny Trejo, Bullet. Oh yeah, a few Mike Ehrma …