Here is a list of 5 foods that prevent bloating. Bloating can put a cramp in your style (no pun intended) and while antacids can be taken to relieve bloating, you can prevent bloating altogether by eating the right foods:
- Herbal teas. Teas can act as a diuretic, which can help get your bowels moving. Tea also breaks up gas bubbles that can develop from bloating. Coffee should be avoided; while it is also a diuretic, it is much more acidic, which causes a build up of gas to occur.
- Rice Flour. The American College of Gastroenterology says a high fiber diet can aggravate bloating symptoms by not fully digesting, but rice flour is fully absorbed in the small intestines so it produces less gas.
- Yogurt. Yogurt contains bacteria (probiotics-the good kind), which aid in digestion. Yogurt also relieves nausea which often occurs with bloating.
- Pineapple. Pineapple contains bromelaine, a plant enzyme with anti-inflammatory properties. Bromelanie stimulates the digestive system and helps remove toxins.
- Green, Leafy Vegetables. Green, leafy vegetables are rich in magnesium, which restores gut function and relieves bloating. Note: Some vegetables, like broccoli and cabbage are so rich in fiber they are difficult to digest; this can increase bloating. To avoid bloating, try cooking your vegetables; you will receive all the benefits, minus the bloating.
7 percent of Americans suffer from chronic bloating and most everyone suffers from occasional bloating, it is important to note that bloating can be a symptom of a more serious condition, such as Celiac's disease, which requires professional medical attention.
Stone,Christian M.D. (2009). Risk of Arterial Thrombortic Events in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. American Journal Gastroenterol.104:1445–1451, 2009.
Beuth J. (2008). Proteolytic enzyme therapy in evidence-based complementary oncology: fact of fiction? Integr Cancer Ther. 7:311-316, 2008
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.