If you've been suffering from a case of the trots, these 5 foods that stop diarrhea can be just what you need. While it is often a good idea to let your body work through a case of diarrhea on its own, sometimes you just need to get out of the bathroom and get on with your life. These are foods that can help:
- Bananas. Bananas are high in fiber in the form of pectin, a water soluble fiber that can help stop diarrhea. They are also a good source of potassium, which your body may be low on after an extended bout with the runs. They are also very easy to digest, giving your body the energy it needs to get well.
- Rice. Like bananas, rice contains soluble fiber, making it an excellent food that helps stop diarrhea. It's also processed high in the digestive tract, meaning that your body will be able to extract the nutrition from it easily.
- Apples. The soluble fiber in apples is binding, the water content keeps you hydrated and the sugar helps keep you energized.
- Toast. Toast made with whole-grain bread is best. Avoid using butter, as the fat can exacerbate diarrhea. Try eating it with a small amount of honey, if you need some sort of spread to help it go down.
- Yogurt. Yogurt is what is known as a pro-biotic food, so it can help stop diarrhea. Yogurt contains friendly bacteria that help keep your digestive system running smoothly. An intestinal illness can reduce the levels of these bacteria, so, eating foods like yogurt can help get their numbers back up again. As an added bonus, dairy foods are binding. Just be sure that dairy does not irritate your system before trying this remedy.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
13 Pro Wrestling Tales Too Crazy to be True—But They Are!
Because the gnarliest stuff happens when the cameras are off.