The five foods to help you sleep will have one thing in common; they rank high on the Glycemic index at 70 or above. The Glycemic index is a list of foods that calculates the effect of carbohydrates on blood sugar, how quickly the food is converted to energy, and how quickly food that energy is burned. Foods that rank high on the Glycemic list of food will help bring on sleep by aiding in the release of tryptophan and serotonin which are chemicals that aid sleep.
- Cereal. Cornflakes are high in carbohydrates and has a Glycemic rating of 84. Golden Grahams cereal has a GI rating of 71. Grapenut flakes are rated at 80 on the Glycemic Index. Eat a 1/2 cup serving of cereal in a bowl of milk within four hours before bedtime.
- Snacks. Pretzels are high in carbohydrates and have a Glycemic rating of 81. Eat a handful of pretzels three to four hours before bedtime. Pretzels are not the only snack food to try. Snack on corn chips (rated at 72 on the GI) or Saltine Crackers which are rated at 74 on the GI.
- Potatoes. Potatoes eaten a few hours before bedtime will aid in sleep. There are many options for eating potatoes. Russet potatoes have a GI rating of 73 or more depending on how they are cooked. Potatoes can be eaten as French fries, baked, mashed, or as potato chips.
- Rice. It is not practical to cook rice an hour or two before bed. Fortunately, there are several types of rice snacks. Rice cakes come in many flavors like caramel corn, chocolate crunch, apple cinnamon, buttered popcorn, and white cheddar. Rice cakes also come in bit size snack pieces.
- Bread and Honey. Bread, depending on the type, has a Glycemic rating between 72 and 9five. Toast a bagel, or just make toast as a late night snack. Honey has a Glycemic rating of 73 and when spread of bread, makes a great snack an hour of two before bedtime.
James Brill, Cholesterol Down. Three Rivers Press 2006
Joan and Lydia Wilen, Healing remedies. Ballantine Books 2008
Editors of Prevention,Doctor's Book of Home Remedies. Rodale 2002
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.