These 5 fun Columbus Day recipes for kids help celebrate the holiday that celebrates Christopher Columbus with his ships and crew landing in the Americas on October 12, 1492. The holiday is now held on the second Monday of October and gives kids a day off from school. They can take part in making the following easy recipes and eating the results at the same time that they recite the history behind Columbus Day.
1. Christopher Columbus Ships
- Vanilla ice cream
- Can of sliced peaches
- Butterscotch syrup
- 9 toothpicks
- 18 miniature marshmallows
- 9 maraschino cherries
- 3 dessert plates or banana split bowls
- Place 3 scoops of ice cream on each plate or bowl.
- Arrange peach slices around the ice cream.
- Spoon syrup over everything.
- On each of the toothpicks arrange a marshmallow, a cherry, and another marshmallow.
- Stick a toothpick on top of each ice cream scoop.
2. Another Sailboat
- Peanut butter or cream cheese
- A fruit rollup
- Place peanut butter or cream cheese in the center of a piece of celery.
- Place a triangular piece of rollup on a toothpick to make a sail.
- Use the raisins as people in the boat.
You will need:
- Hot dog
- Sharp knife
- On the bottom 3/4 of the hot dog, make 8 vertical cuts.
- Leave the 1/4 top of the hot dog solid.
- Boil as normal.
- Eat the crazy octopus that has waving arms!!
4. Easy Wrap
- Soft shell flour tortilla
- Tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- Small chopped apple
- Spread peanut butter on the tortilla.
- Sprinkle with raisins.
- Sprinkle with apples.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Roll and enjoy
5. Instant Pudding Milk Shake
- 3 cups cold milk
- 1 pkg. instant pudding (any flavor)
- 1 1/2 cups ice cream (any flavor)
- Put all ingredients into blender.
- Blend on high for 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Pour into glasses.
- Mixture thickens as it stands.
- If necessary, thin with more milk.