Try these 5 German sides dishes for Oktoberfest. German side dishes include vegetables and noodles. Of course you should serve beer at your Oktoberfest celebration to go with these German side dishes.
1. Apple Compote
If you want to make apple compote for Oktoberfest, you will need:
- 3 apples, sliced
- ¼ red onion, sliced
- 1 oz white wine
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Put a pan on the stove over medium heat. Add the apples, onion wine.
- Season with salt, pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add the butter and sprinkle the sugar over the apples.
- Cook for twenty minutes. Remove from the heat when the apples are tender.
2. Oktoberfest German Potato Salad
If you want to make Oktoberfest German Potato Salad, you will need:
- 6 medium potatoes, unpeeled
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup diced onions
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup water
- celery seed
- Put unpeeled potatoes in a large pot over high heat. Boil for 30 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Cut into slices.
- Cook bacon in a skillet until browned. Chop bacon.
- In the pan with the bacon fat put add the oil and onions. Turn heat to medium and cook for four minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Cook for four minutes.
- Add the potatoes and bacon to the pan. Cook gently until heated through, stirring gently.
3. Braised Swiss Chard
If you want to make braised Swiss chard, one of the traditional German side dishes, you will need:
- 1 bunch Swiss Chard, sliced thickly
- ¼ onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 oz olive oil
- 3 ounces canned fried onions
- Put oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for two to three minutes.
- Add garlic and Swiss chard to the pan. Cook while stirring the chard for three minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put fried onions on the top.
4. Carrots in Beer
If you want to make carrots in beer for Oktoberfest, you will need:
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced thinly lengthwise
- 1 cup dark beer
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Put butter into a skillet. Add the carrots. Pour in the beer.
- Cook over low heat until the carrots are fork tender. Season with salt. Sprinkle the sugar over the carrots.
- Cook for an additional two minutes. Serve immediately.
If you want to make Spätzle for Oktoberfest, you will need:
- 3 cups flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Mix together the eggs, salt and one-half cup of water. Beat together until the batter is no longer sticky. Add a little more water if necessary.
- Put water in a pot and bring to a boil. Add salt. Press the dough through a Spätzle press or a colander.
- Add the Spätzle to the boiling water. When they float on top of the water remove them.
- Melt butter in a skillet. Saute the Spätzle in butter and serve right away.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."