The first thing to remember in learning 5 golf tips about your backswing is just how important the backswing is. It sets you up for success or failure. You have to start the swing on the correct plane so when the golf club contacts the ball it is at the correct angle. If you start off incorrectly, you have to compensate on the downswing and get the club back on plane, which is very difficult for most golfers to do. Your backswing generates the coiled energy that results in a powerful swing. There are just a few keys to a good backswing, but they must be done with precision—with every swing.
- Reduce tension. Relax your grip on the golf club as you address the ball. Hold onto it securely, but don’t squeeze the grip. If your grip pressure is too tight during the backswing, your arm and shoulder muscles tense up, which restricts the length of your swing. The result will be less power.
- One piece takeaway. The classic way to begin the swing is to make your arms, shoulders, hands and the golf club all move as a unit. This is referred to as the one piece takeaway, and it makes it much easier to start the backswing on the correct plane. Take the golf club back slowly and extend your left arm–don’t bend the left elbow or feel as though you are picking up the club. To make a long, full swing you need extension with your arms.
- Create resistance. Power is created by coiling your “big” muscles going back and releasing this tension on the downswing. Feel as though your shoulder muscles are coiling against the resistance of your right leg, which remains braced.
- Swing, don’t sway. On the backswing, weight is transferred from your left side to the right side. This allows for a fuller shoulder turn. Make sure you don’t sway going back, rolling over the edge of your right foot. Swaying throws the golf swing off balance and causes you to hit the ball offline.
- Don’t overswing. Pro golfers with exceptional flexibility are able to swing so far back that the golf club actually goes beyond parallel at the top of the swing. Amateurs who try to do this often lose control of the club, and start the downswing with a flailing action like casting with a fishing rod. If you’ve mastered these five golf tips for the backswing, you will be ready to make solid contact with the ball.
If you have watched professional golf during the last couple decades, you might have noticed the participants looking a ...
By: Ben Engler If you live on the East Coast, you are thankful you invested in a snow-blower last year. If you have b ...
The most expensive golf cart on the planet is so nice that it’s not a golf cart. They took the ‘t&rsquo ...