More than 100 million Americans suffer from some form of cardiovascular disease, so here are 5 healthy heart recipes that taste great. Recommended diets include a healthy dose of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, low fat-fish and meats. If you follow some of these simple recipes, there is still room for the occasional treat of a tasty hamburger.
- Taco Salad. In a skillet, brown extra lean ground beef with one chopped onion. Add half a teaspoon of all-purpose seasoning. Line a salad bowl with romaine lettuce. Use the remainder of the head of lettuce to shred and mix with chopped red-leaf lettuce. Top the salad with the prepared beef, diced tomatoes, an additional chopped onion, a half cup of reduced-fat cheddar cheese and one peeled, sliced avocado. Serve with sour cream, salsa and warm corn tortillas.
- Roast Red Potatoes. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place one pound of small red potatoes with skins, halved, onto a roasting pan. Toss the potatoes with olive oil and then flip them cut side up. Bake for fifteen minutes. Using a fork, turn the potatoes over and tuck garlic cloves among them. Put back in oven for 40 more minutes. Season potatoes with salt and pepper before serving.
- Linguine with Shrimp. Cook one pound of linguine according to package. Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add a half cup of chopped onions and three cloves of garlic to the olive oil and sauté for two minutes. Add 1 and 1/2 pounds of cooked, peeled shrimp and sauté for three more minutes. Add lemon juice, parsley, salt, pepper and basil and simmer until pasta is ready. Arrange pasta in a bowl, toss with shrimp and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Chicken and Bean Burritos. Marinate the following ingredients: 1/4 cup of orange juice, one tablespoon of lime juice, two tablespoons of cider vinegar, one tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil, one teaspoon of fresh oregano, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Shake the ingredients to blend. Cut two whole-skinned and boned chicken breasts into 1/2 inch strips and pour the marinade over them. Let the chicken sit in the marinade for ten minutes. Preheat a skillet and stir fry the chicken for eight to ten minutes until done. Spoon black bean dip onto the whole wheat or flour tortillas, top with shredded lettuce and chicken, add salsa, avocado and sour cream. Fold the tortilla up into a burrito and serve.
- Grilled Teriyaki Steak. Combine to marinade 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup dry vermouth, one tablespoon brown sugar, one tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, two minced garlic cloves and a one-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced. Arrange 1 and 1/2 pounds of flank steak and pour the marinade over the steak. Allow to sit for up to 24 hours. Grill steak over hot coals for six to eight minutes on each side. When finished, cut across the grain at a diagonal angle into thin slices.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...