5 Healthy High Calorie Foods
Looking for 5 healthy high-calorie foods? When trying to gain weight, it’s a good idea to load up on healthy, high-calorie foods. This will ensure that you remain in good health as you gain weight. You would, of course, gain weight on a diet of nothing but cheeseburgers and candy bars, but it’s probably not a good idea for the long-term. Check out the list below for some healthy, high-calorie alternatives.
- Bagels and breads are a tasty way to increase your calorie intake. Choose whole wheat, rye or pumpernickel for better nutritional value than plain white bread. If you want to boost calories and nutrient value more, spread a bagel or bread with peanut butter, jam or hummus.
- Soups are an easy way to fill up nutritiously. Higher calorie soups that are also healthy include chili with beans, split pea and ham soup, or any other thick, hearty soup. Choose soups that are loaded with vegetables, meats, pastas and beans for the most calories. Cream soups are high in calories but generally don’t offer much in the way of nutrients.
- Avocados are healthy and delicious. They can be eaten alone, or sliced and added to salads or sandwiches.
- Combine fruits and water or milk in a blender to get a fruit smoothie. These can be made in any number of ways to suit your preferences, and will pack a healthy calorie punch. Common fruits to use in smoothies are bananas, strawberries and peaches, but you can use any type or combination of fruit you want. You could also add yogurt to the smoothie if desired for more healthy calories.
- Nuts and seeds are nutrient dense and high in calories. Try adding sliced almonds or walnuts to cereals or salads. Sunflower seeds, flax seeds and pumpkin seeds can also be added to these foods, as well as casseroles or plain veggies.
There are many delicious ways to add high-calorie foods to your diet in a healthy way. Experiment to determine what high calorie foods you enjoy the most.