5 Healthy Holiday Tips
If you are wondering how to stay healthy during the holidays, here 5 healthy holiday tips can help you. During the holidays, trying to balance out how to enjoy all of your favorite food while still being healthy can be challenging. You may feel like you have worked hard on being healthy throughout the entire year and now here is your chance to reward yourself. You can reward yourself, but you still have to be aware and in control of what you are eating. Here are five holiday tips that will allow you to enjoy the holidays, while also staying healthy.
- Eat what you want, but in moderation. It is okay to treat yourself to food that you don't normally eat, like your favorite dessert. This will not hurt you. What will hurt you if you want to eat every dessert and go back for three and four servings of food. Chose a smaller plate if possible to consume smaller portions. Don't stuff your face; eat slowly being sure to chew your food thoroughly. This will help you to digest your food properly and help you to get fool faster.
- Eat healthy snacks throughout the day. If you know that you plan on indulging at the party or with your family, eat healthy during the rest of the day. Eat healthy snacks such as fruit and veggies, yogurt with granola, or some almonds. Be careful of your sugar intake because eating too much sugar can rob you of your energy.
- Exercise and keep that body moving. Try to stick with your routine of exercising during the holidays. If anything, do a shortened version of your normal workout or go for a walk. Make sure to set aside time exercise or activity. If possible involve the entire family in the activity such as skating or playing a sport such as football.
- Be sure to get plenty of rest. You want to stay stress free and keep from being in a bad mood due to lack of sleep. Sleep is especially important because it helps with our metabolism rate. During the holidays, we definitely need our body to burn off any extra calories that it can, and sleep will help. Alcohol does affect our sleep so it is best to stick with non alcoholic beverages.
- Drink plenty of water. Just because you will probably be exposed to a variety of different types of drinks, don't leave out your water. Alcoholic drinks and coffee can dehydrate your body. It is very important to drink plenty of water to maintain proper hydration. Water can also help you to get full faster and keep you from eating as much food.