5 Healthy Junk Food Options
Many a diet has been sabotaged when a craving for a little something sweet, salty or just downright decadent has assaulted the dieter, leaving them feeling hungry and deprived, but with these five healthy junk food options, you can indulge without deserting your diet.
- Popcorn. Movie theater popcorn may be a one-way ticket to coronary artery disease, but according to the National Institutes of Health, three cups of air-popped popcorn contains only 80 calories. If plain popcorn doesn't tickle your fancy, try dressing it up with dried oregano or garlic powder for a healthy junk food alternative.
- Chocolate. Chocolate doesn't deserve its reputation as a junk food. According to one study, people who consumed chocolate once a week had a 22 percent lower stroke risk than those who didn't. If you want to indulge, experts advise you go with dark chocolate for a junk food option.
- Nuts. Nuts gained a reputation as junk food because they're full of fat, but it turns out that it's the right kind of fat. Nuts also contain antioxidants. Since nuts are still high in calories, experts recommend you limit your intake of it as a junk food option.
- Pizza. Pies from Pizza Hut and Dominoes certainly don't make the healthy junk food list, but if you make a vegetarian pizza at home with a whole wheat crust using low fat cheese, what is there for your doctor to complain about?
- French fries. It turns out potatoes are rich in vitamin C, potassium, vitamin B6 and dietary fiber. As long as you fry them up in a heart healthy oil like olive oil, you can have French fries without the guilt. Just don't eat too many.