5 Healthy Recipes For Two
Learn about 5 healthy recipes for two for new ideas at meal time. Eating healthy food is important to stay healthy and fit. Healthy food also helps keep weight in check and gives your body the energy it needs to go all day. Healthy recipes provide vitamins and minerals and can taste great, too. When you are cooking for you and your spouse or child, it's nice to have several options at the ready. Keep these five healthy recipes for two on hand to fix when you're stuck for new ideas.
Rice and beans. One healthy recipe for two that is healthy and filling is rice and beans. Rice and beans also make a complete protein so it is a good option for when you don't want to eat meat.
- one cup of brown rice
- can of beans
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- Cook one cup of brown rice according to the package instructions. Brown rice keeps the bran on the rice, which makes it a healthier option than white rice. Find a brand that you like and keep it in the pantry for quick meals.
- Open a can of your choice of beans and heat on the stovetop. This can be chili beans, black beans, pinto beans, white beans, or even kidney beans. Heat the beans.
Shred 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Place the rice in a bowl, top with beans then sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Fish and broccoli. Choose a nice white fish like cod or healthy salmon for this recipe. Eating fish is recommended two to three times a week for a healthy diet.
- four to six ounce fish fillet
- one cup broccoli
- Bake a four to six ounce fillet of the fish with lemon juice and your choice of seasonings, like lemon and pepper or Cajun spice.
- Wash and trim one cup of broccoli and steam it until it is bright green. Don't overcook the broccoli.
- Serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over the fish and broccoli.
- one cup of vegetables (your choice)
- canola oil
- two eggs
- Chop your choice of vegetables to total one cup. Good choices for omelets are bell peppers, onions, spinach, mushrooms and anything else that tastes good to you.
- Saute the vegetables for a few minutes in a skillet with a light oil like canola oil.
Remove the vegetables.
- Beat two eggs and add to the skillet, moving the egg so the cooked portion makes way for the uncooked egg.
- Add the vegetables and flip one half of the egg portion on top of the other half.
- Put a lid on the skillet and let cook for a few minutes on low heat until the egg is done.
Chicken and salad.
- two chicken breasts
- leafy greens (your choice)
- red bell paper
- salad dressing
Broil two chicken breasts.
- Prepare a green salad with choice of lettuce. Good choices are romaine and red leaf.
- Add bite size pieces of red bell pepper and apple totaling 1/2 cup.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces and place over the salad.
Add a healthy light dressing.
Vegetable stir fry with rice.
- one cup brown rice
- one cup vegetables (your choice)
- soy sauce (to your desired amount)
- Cook one cup of brown rice according to the package directions.
- Chop one cup of vegetables. Good stir fry vegetables are onions, peppers, mushrooms, green beans, broccoli and cauliflower. Use a wok or skillet and cook the vegetables quickly over high heat, about ten minutes.
- Serve the vegetable stir fry with rice and light soy sauce.