Need 5 healthy Soul Food options? Soul food is stereotypically thought of as being strictly fried chicken and other fat-rich meals – all exceedingly unhealthy eating options. However, there is certainly more to soul food than heavy foods. There are options which allow you to enjoy the variety in flavor without gaining an oversized gut in the process. Though it is difficult to find healthy alternatives for Soul Food, the following are some of the best.
- Sylvia Wood's "Queen of Soul Food" Black-Eyed Pea Salad: This salad has a vast array of ingredients, from onions to hot sauce. However, it is entirely healthy, with the one downfall, the replacing of sugar with a sugar substitute as a healthier alternative. For every half a cup there are only 90 calories – and an array of nutrients to go along with that serving.
- Grilled Chicken: Rather than frying chicken, grilling chicken eliminates the grease soaked up in the cooking process. In addition, if flavored with herbs and spices, the sodium content can be drastically reduced. Thus, this can turn what might be a heart-threatening meal into a body-strengthening one.
- Healthy Cornbread: For a healthier alternative to standard cornbread recipes, try one that replaces butter with yogurt. Likewise, look for a recipe that has a lower sugar content (1/4 cup of sugar is plenty for up to 12 servings). This will make cornbread one of the best 5 healthy soul food options available.
- Collard Greens: There is nothing you need to change about this recipe! Collard greens on their own are healthy and nutritious. Just try to avoid adding too much salt or fattening butter/oils when cooking and you'll be set.
- Gluten-free Mac & Cheese: For a super-healthy alternative to fattening mac and cheese, try cooking up some quinoa pasta to replace glutinous wheat pasta. Also, use simply part-skim cheddar cheese, skim milk, and cornstarch to make the cheesy sauce free of excess sodium and calories.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …