Next time you’re hungry for Thai food, don’t order without referencing this list of the top 5 healthy Thai food options. While Thai food does have plenty of healthy options available, you can definitely head down a not-so-healthy path if you’ve been ordering fried egg rolls, high-calorie curry dishes and dishes that contain bean thread, an inconspicuous ingredient that is very high in carbohydrates.
- Spring for spring rolls. If you must have an appetizer, choose spring rolls as a healthy Thai food option over egg rolls. They’re not fried, they’re filled with veggies and they’re much lower in calories.
- Say farewell to fried rice. Always specify that you want steamed rice with your Thai dishes, or you may end up getting fried rice, which will greatly increase your calorie intake. Steamed rice is just one of the healthy options offered by Thai food that you should always take advantage of.
- Sautéed equals smart. When carbohydrate-filled dishes like Pad Thai are calling your name, stay strong and go the sautéed route. Sautéed scallops, shrimp, beef or pork with vegetables, and the standard spicy chili paste, will taste so delicious you won’t even miss all those carbs. Plus, the chili paste will help to rev up your metabolism. How’s that for one of the best healthy Thai food options?
- Stir-fried or steamed is a healthy dream. Silly rhyme? Maybe. But if it helps you remember to stay away from deep fried dishes, calorie-filled curry dishes or any dishes with fried rice or noodles, then it has done its job! Any Thai food dish that is stir-fried or steamed is a healthy option.
- Skip the curry. As mentioned above, curry has a lot of calories. Choose pepper steak instead and you’ll be choosing one of the most healthy Thai food options available. If you’re still hungry, try the hot and sour shrimp soup for an authentically delicious Thai dish that won’t add to your waistline.
There are many healthy Thai food options available, so choose wisely and you’ll still get to enjoy the spicy, aromatic and exciting dishes that make up Thai cuisine without sacrificing your health.