Wondering what 5 heart healthy supplements are necessary for optimal health? Confused about what supplements to take to maintain a healthy heart because so many minerals and nutrients out there have unusual names. You’re not sure what they are or what they do for your body? Never mind those we’re going back to the basic supplements the ones you’re familiar with which you’ll need to take in the proper doses to optimize healthy heart living.
- Vitamin C – 1000 to 4000mg daily. This is the most recognized and also most controversial supplement but it’s a power house as it assists in the production and repair of Collagen which is the material your blood vessels are made of. Vitamin C also lowers your cholesterol levels.
- Vitamin E – 200 IU daily. This is Vitamin C’s best friend as they work together in harmony to prevent clots, damage to your arteries and prevents blood sticking.
- Calcium – 1500mg daily. Helps lower blood pressure and participates in the expansion and contraction of blood vessels.
- Magnesium – 500mg to 1000mg daily. Calcium and Magnesium ratio is recommended at 2:1 or 1:1 depending on the health and needs of your body. Magnesium regulates your heart beat by stabilizing the electrical circuits thus optimizing blood pressure. This mineral is the most common deficiency in the US diet.
- Omega-3 fatty acid supplement – 1 to 2 teaspoons daily. This is the only supplement recommended by the American Heart Association for heart health instead of getting all of your nutrients from your food intake. Omega-3 decreases the risk of heart disease by reducing inflammation and helps lower blood pressure with people with hypertension.
Healthy heart supplements alone will not prevent a heart attack but they can keep heart risks at bay. Quit smoking, watch your alcohol intake, eat well and exercise on a daily basis are all recommended by the American Heart Association for a healthy heart but supplements that can keep your heart pumping for a strong vibrant lifestyle, they can't hurt either.