Looking for 5 heart healthy vitamins? To help your heart out and prevent heart disease and heart attacks, it’s important to take vitamins and supplements that are heart healthy. If you're not a pill-taker, no worries; there are plenty of wonderful things to eat that contain some wonderful, heart healthy vitamins. Here are 5 examples of heart healthy vitamins.
- Vitamin B. The vitamin B family is great for your heart and is most definitely a heart healthy vitamin. Vitamins B9, B6 and B12 work to help the body remove homocysteine (a cause of artery damage) from the blood. If you are curious about where you can find vitamin B, the best source is eating really good meat.
- Vitamin E. Vitamin E is another amazing heart healthy vitamin. Vitamin E protects blood fats, keeps good cholesterol levels up and works with vitamin C to keep blood cells non-toxic. You can find vitamin E in sunflower seeds, almonds, peanut butter and good old dark, leafy greens.
- Vitamin K. Vitamin K is great for your bones and heart. Vitamins K1 and K2, when taken daily, help prevent coronary heart disease and, in addition, make your bones stronger. Vitamin K1 can be found in green tea, whole wheat, tomatoes, avocado, broccoli, asparagus and olive oil. Vitamin K2 is found in meat, liver, egg yolks, yogurt and cheese.
- Vitamin D. Vitamin D is gaining a reputation as a heart healthy vitamin. Cardiologists are discovering that vitamin D plays a role in regulating blood pressure, inflammation and glucose control, which all contribute to cardiovascular health. So go out, get some sun and drink some milk; it does a body good!
- Vitamin F/Omega 3. Vitamin F, which is now called Omega 3, is a wonderful heart healthy vitamin. This vitamin is great for the heart and mind. This vitamin is found in fish oil and lowers cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure and gives you protection from heart attacks and strokes. Now go eat your fish!