5 Herbal Headache Remedies
What are 5 herbal headache remedies for safe and natural relief? Headaches are caused by a range of factors, both physical and psychological in nature. While over-the-counter pain killers are one solution they do come with negative side effects when used in excess, such as burdening the liver. Find out about herbal headache remedies with the following herbs.
- Valerian and chamomile tea. Drink an herbal infusion made from these two relaxing nervine herbs. Both have a calming effect on the nervous system and are very effective as herbal headache remedies in cases of stress and tension. To make a tea, infuse two teaspoons of the dried herb with one cup of boiling water for ten minutes.
- Bathe in rosemary and peppermint. These two herbs are soothing to the nervous system, but they are also beneficial for headaches because they will improve blood circulation. Wrap one ounce of each herb in a muslin cloth and add to bath water. Soak for twenty minutes.
- Take a tincture of Jamaican dogwood. Jamaican dogwood is a very potent herbal headache remedy. This herb will relieve pain, even migraine headache pain, calm the nerves, and help you to fall asleep. Take a dropper full of the tincture in a glass of juice, water, or tea. Do not take in excess.
- Use marjoram essential oil. This is one of the best herbal headache remedies for fast relief. Dilute five drops of marjoram oil in one ounce of jojoba, almond, or olive oil. Rub onto the temples and forehead.
- Inhale lavender. Use fresh or dried flowers or even the essential oil. Boil water, add the herb or oil, and breath in the aromatic steam. This is another quick herbal treatment for headache pain.
These are 5 simple herbal headache remedies. They are not only safe and effective, but they come with the positive side effects of relaxing the nervous system and easing tension.
References: Hoffmann, David. "The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: A Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies." Element Books, 1996.