What are five herbal remedies for hypertension? Hypertension, also known as high blood pressure, is a very serious medical condition. Known as the silent killer because it can go undetected for years, hypertension is a major contributing factor in deaths due to stroke and heart attack. Have your blood pressure checked, talk to your doctor, and try these five herbal remedies for hypertension.
- Drink dandelion tea. This herbal remedy is very helpful for treating hypertension. It helps to eliminate excess fluid in the body, which can aggravate high blood pressure. Dandelion is also rich in potassium, a mineral that helps to keep blood pressure levels normalized. Drink one to three cups daily.
- Take valerian capsules. Stress, tension, and anxiety are often at least partially behind high blood pressure. This is why relaxing herbal remedies for hypertension are very helpful. Valerian is a powerful yet safe herb that calms and tones the nervous system.
- Take a tincture of motherwort. This herb is a heart tonic, gently strengthening the organ. It is a great remedy for hypertension, especially when nervous tension is a factor. Take one drop full a day in a glass of juice or water.
- Cayenne powder is good for hypertension. Fortifying blood vessels, capillaries, and the heart itself, this is one of the best herbal remedies for hypertension. Infuse one teaspoon of the powder in a cup of very hot water. Take one tablespoon of this infusion three times a day.
- Make an infusion with dried mistletoe twigs. This herb acts to reduce stress while also strengthening the wall of the peripheral capillaries. Steep one teaspoon of mistletoe in one cup of boiling water for ten minutes. Make this hypertension herbal remedy even more potent by adding one teaspoon of lime blossom or hawthorne berries.
These five herbal remedies for hypertension are all very effective, safe, and natural ways to lower high blood pressure.
Hoffmann, David. "The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: A Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies." (Element Books, 1996).
Page, Linda. "Healthy Healing: A Guide to Self-Healing for Everyone, 11th Edition" (Traditional Wisdom, 2003).
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
10 Things to Talk About This Weekend
Ebola, Brad Pitt, and giant spiders.