Getting a good nights rest can sometimes be difficult, but with these 5 herbal sleeping remedies, rest will come easily and naturally. Herbal remedies are becoming more popular among those wanting to avoid taking prescriptions and over the counter medications. Sleep is an important part of a persons well being and many do not get the full 8 hours of rest that is needed. Lack of sleep can have many negative effects on a person such as crankiness, irritability, and difficulty concentrating.
- Valerian. Valerian comes from a member of the Valerianaceae family, a perennial plant. It has an unpleasant, distinctive odor. Valerian is a non addictive mild sedative herb that helps you sleep although it is not clear how Valerian works to treat insomnia. Valerian has less side effects that prescription sleep aids. When taking Valerian, you will not wake up with the groggy, hung over feeling as with other herbal sleep remedies.
- Hops. Hops is a generally safe herbal sleep remedy. It is a member of the Cannabaceae family. Hops comes from the hops flower, a perennial climbing vine, and is commonly used in making herbal sleep pillows. Hops is used primarily in the flavoring of beer but has a variety of other uses. It is used in combination with other sleep aids such as valerian, melatonin and passionflower to create a natural effective sleep aid.
- Passionflower. Passionflower, known to be used as a sedative and analgesic is also used as an herbal sleep aid. Passionflower, which contains harmine, has the ability to induce a mild euphoria aiding in falling asleep. Although it is unknown exactly how it works, passionflower contains sedative-like compounds that aid in sleep.
- Chamomile. Chamomile is a member of the daisy family that is known for its calming and relaxing effects. The active ingredient in Chamomile is bisobolol. Once the flowers are dried, they are used medicinally. Chamomile can be made as tea or used in a warm bath prior to laying down to go to sleep.
- Jamaica Dogwood. Jamaica Dogwood is a type of dogwood tree that is harvested for its root. It is known to calm those disturbing persistent thoughts that keep us up at night. Insomnia caused by pain and nervous tension can be remedied with a warm cup of dogwood tea for a restful nights sleep.
WebMd.com : "Natural and Remedies"
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.