5 Herpes Zoster Treatments
By keeping some basic guidelines in mind, you can learn about 5 herpes zoster treatments. Herpes zoster is otherwise known as shingles, and is commonly associated with blisters and red itchy rashes on the skin. While this condition is not life-threatening, it can be extremely uncomfortable and painful to deal with. Be sure to work with a physician who is skilled in treating herpes zoster for best results. If you primary care physician is not familiar with the condition of herpes zoster, he or she should be willing to refer you to a qualified professional.
- Antiviral mediations. Herpes zoster is highly contagious, and it is essential for individuals diagnosed with herpes zoster to be on a antiviral medication as soon as possible in order to prevent the spread of the condition.
- Anti-inflammatory medications. Anti-inflammatory medications are essential in treating the blisters associated with herpes foster. They are especially effective in the treatment of pain and swelling associated with the condition.
- Antihistamines. Anyone who has ever suffered from an allergic reaction is aware how beneficial antihistamines can be. For best results, look for antihistamines that provide long-lasting results.
- Topical creams. Typically, your doctor will prescribe a topical cream that contains some combination of the medications described above. This is a great alternative for individuals who have a difficult time swallowing large pills.
- Wet compresses. Finally, wet compresses can help ease itching, swelling, and general unease. Consider keeping a steady supply of wet compresses in your refrigerator for best results in treating herpes zoster.