A diet filled with the proper amounts of fiber is essential for good health making it important to know at least 5 high fiber foods. There are two types of dietary fiber, insoluble and soluble. Insoluble fiber passes through the digestive system and keeps bowel movements regular. Soluble fiber dissolves into a gel material and helps to lower glucose levels and blood cholesterol.
- Raspberries. These delicate fruity berries have a delicate sweet flavor that will compliment dry or cooked cereal or can be enjoyed as a dessert with a light dessert topping. One cup of raspberries contains 8 grams of fiber.
- Whole Wheat Spaghetti. Spaghetti made from whole wheat flour contains 6.2 grams of fiber per cup. When switching from white flour pasta to whole wheat pasta you may experience intestinal discomfort. Ease into eating whole wheat for the first few weeks.
- Split peas, Lentils, and Black Beans. Split peas, lentils, and black beans make tasty high fiber soup. A cup of these legumes contains 15 plus grams of fiber. It is simple to make a pot of soup using legumes. Add peas, chopped carrots, and onions to your legume soup.
- Artichoke. A medium size artichoke contains 10.3 grams of fiber. Steam fresh artichokes and eat with a small amount of olive oil. An easy way to add fiber to any diet is to add artichoke hearts to a tossed green salad.
- Peas. One cup of cooked green peas contains 8.8 grams of fiber. Green peas are a versatile vegetable which can be eaten hot or cold. Add green peas to the top of a tossed green salad for extra fiber and flavor. Steamed green peas can be a vegetable side dish for any meal. Green peas can also be added to soup to increase dietary fiber.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.