5 High Protein Vegetarian Recipes For Christmas
Check out these 5 high protein vegetarian recipes for Christmas. With the dearth of protein-rich vegetarian dishes, serve these recipes and your non-meat-eating friends will revere you more than Santa Claus. Even non-vegetarians will enjoy these festive vegetarian treats.
Cinnamon Sugar Almonds
Cinnamon and Christmas combined with high protein almonds result in a wonderfully addictive vegetarian snack.
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp. water, cold
- 3 cups almonds, whole
- 1/2 cup sugar, brown or raw
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, ground
- 1 generous pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet or pizza pan.
- Beat egg whites together with water in a large bowl until frothy. Stir almonds into egg mixture until well-coated.
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar, cinnamon and salt. Sprinkle sugar mixture over almonds until lightly covered. Toss almonds to coat. Repeat sprinkling and tossing until almonds are coated with entire sugar mixture.
- Spread almonds out across the cookie sheet so that no nuts are touching. Bake until golden, approximately 30 to 35 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
Lentil and Chestnut Soup
Lentils are a great source of high protein for vegetarians on Christmas or any other winter day.
- 1 leek
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick celery
- 1 small onion
- 2 tbsp. butter or vegetable oil
- 2 cups red lentils, washed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups chestnuts, roasted and chopped
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Dice leek, carrot, celery and onion.
- Heat butter or oil in a large pot. Add vegetables and sauté until tender.
- Stir in the lentils and cook on medium heat for two to three minutes. Add stock, cinnamon and salt. Simmer until lentils soften, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in chestnuts and lemon juice. Cook on low for ten minutes. Serve chunky or pureed.
Quinoa, Walnut and Artichoke Heart Salad
Quinoa and walnuts pack this colorful Christmas side dish with plenty of protein.
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup quinoa, soaked and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup green chives, diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups artichoke hearts, chopped
- 4 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 to 2 cups salad dressing of choice
- In a large skillet on medium heat, dry roast walnuts until fragrant.
- Mix quinoa and water in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer quinoa uncovered for fifteen or twenty minutes until water has completely evaporated. Stir quinoa to fluff and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together tomatoes, chives and artichoke hearts.
- Stir in the cooled quinoa. Add dressing to taste. Toss to mix.
- Layer spinach leaves on individual plates. Spoon quinoa mixture onto leaves. Garnish with walnuts and serve.
Orange adds a festive Christmas flair to high protein tofu.
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 inch chunk fresh ginger, pressed
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar
- 1 lb. tofu, cut into thin wedges
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- In a medium bowl, mix together orange juice, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, maple syrup and vinegar.
- Heat a skillet on low heat. Add tofu and juice mixture. Simmer for five minutes until tofu bottom is golden.
- Flip tofu and cook until second side is golden and liquid is reduced to sticky sauce. Serve immediately.
Cranberry Walnut Cookies
High protein vegetarian Christmas cookies round out your holiday meal.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup quinoa flour
- 1 cup oatmeal, steel-cut
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 cup agave nectar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, ground
- 1/2 tsp. cloves, ground
- 1/2 tsp. star anise, ground
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup cranberries, whole
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, blend cream cheese and butter. Beat in molasses, agave nectar, spices, salt and eggs. Whisk until fluffy.
- Add almond flour, quinoa flour, oatmeal and baking soda. Mix well. Stir in walnuts and cranberries.
- Spoon out batter onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies until golden, about eight minutes. Cool completely before serving.