5 Hindu New Year Recipes
5 Hindu New Year recipes vary from region to region. The actual celebration of Hindu New Year varies just as much. Some areas celebrate the New Year in April, others in October based upon religious beliefs in that area, as well as, upholding traditions. One thing that stays the same though—the food is delicious!
- 4 tsp. butter, unsalted
- 13 oz. evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped almond
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews, unsalted
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachio nuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. rosewater
- Grease 9" square pan.
- Melt butter in skillet.
- Add Milk. Stir until boiling.
- Lower heat. Cook until thick.
- Stir in nuts, sugar, rosewater.
- Stir occasionally. Cook for ten minutes. Remove from heat.
- Immediately pour mixture. Set and cool.
- 4 cups rice
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 1/2 cups ghee
- 1 tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1/3 cup milk
- Wash/soak rice in water overnight. Drain and repeat twice.
- Drain. Spread rice on cloth for three to four hours.
- Grind rice to powder. Put through a sieve.
- Mix in sugar. Press and keep aside for two hours.
- Sprinkle in milk. Kneading mixture into a dough.
- Sprinkle poppy seeds on wax paper.
- Take walnut sized dough. Press onto seeds; rotate and thin out dough to form a four-inch circle.
- Heat three to four tablespoons of ghee in a pan over low heat.
- Put in a round dough seed side up. Fry until brown; drain.
- Let cool.
- 9 oz. almonds (soaked)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 clarified butter
- 2 tbsp. chopped pistachios
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. saffron (soaked in 1 tsp. milk).
- Grease baking pan.
- Grind almonds to paste.
- Boil one cup water.
- Stir in sugar; heat/stir to make syrup.
- Add almond paste.
- Stir in butter, frequently until thick.
- Add cardamom/saffron.
- Add half nuts.
- Pour into pan/spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with rest of nuts.
Gajar Ka Halwa
- 1 ltr. milk
- 250 g. red carrots
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 100 g. almonds(soaked overnight)
- Boil milk in base pan until it's to 1/3.
- Finely grate carrots.
- Stir in carrots.
- Cook until thick.
- Fold in sugar.
- Once the mixture is soft, but doesn't stick garnish with almonds.
- 8 oz. cottage cheese
- 16 oz. plain yogurt
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1/8 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/8 cup mixed chopped nuts
- Pace yogurt and cheese cloth. Hang from a bowl for 30 minutes.
- Blend cottage cheese and condensed milk until creamy.
- Add yogurt, nuts, and cardamom. Chill