The top 5 historical fiction movies of 2009 showcased a great deal of adventure, war, popular 1960s music and even scientific theories. The fictional characters and story lines were undeniably believable, giving movie-goers an alternate look at events of history that could have easily taken place.
- "Sherlock Holmes" (2009). Written and directed by Guy Ritchie and starring Robert Downey Jr. as the infamous Sherlock Holmes, this 2009 historical fiction movie was a long awaited film in both the United States and Europe. Sherlock Holmes has not been seen on the big screen for a number of years and Robert Downey Jr. was the perfect pick to play this eccentric sleuth. Holmes and his loyal sidekick, Dr. Watson (Jude Law), are on the hunt for a serial killer and acclaimed sorcerer of the dark occult. They encounter black arts and magic, as well as a tangled web of deception, which all lead to several local murders which threaten all of England.
- "Inglorious Basterds" (2009). During World War II, a carefully selected group of Jewish and American soldiers are sent to France to capture members of the Third Reich. This 2009 historical fiction film was written and directed by Quentin Tarantino and stars Brad Pitt, Eli Roth and Diane Kruger. This movie showcases events similar to those that took place while Hitler was in power. There are also fabricated situations many people probably wished would have happened to Nazi loyalists and leaders. "Inglorious Basterds" introduces us to a young Jewish girl who watches the SS slaughter her entire family right in front of her. In the end, she exacts her revenge with a little help (unknowingly) from the chosen "Basterds."
- "Pirate Radio" (2009). Also known as "The Boat That Rocked," this historical fiction comedy stars Oscar winner Philip Seymour Hoffman, as well as Bill Nighy ("Underworld, Pirates of the Caribbean") and Nick Frost ("Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead"). "Pirate Radio" is an illegal radio station airing in the 1960s from the North Sea region. The British government was once against playing this generation defining music, so a group of eclectic DJs take it upon themselves to air the music all of their countrymen and women are dying to hear.
- "Defiance" (2009). This historical fiction movie of 2009 also took place during World War II when the Nazi's occupied most of Europe. It stars Daniel Craig, Liev Schreiber and Jamie Bell as Jewish brothers who flee to a remote forest area and build a stronghold to fight off the Germans. They ally themselves with Russian freedom fighters and over 1,000 Jewish people who are trying to protect themselves from capture. This film showcases many of the hardships Europeans went through, as well as everything they had to do to survive day to day.
- "Creation" (2009). This historical film of 2009 is virtually unknown as it was only released in the United Kingdom in 2009. It stars real-life husband and wife, Paul Bettany and Jennifer Connelly as Mr. and Mrs. Charles Darwin. This film delves into the trials of Darwin's life including the loss of his daughter, his marriage struggles and the threats on his life for believing in his theory of evolution. Darwin and his wife are eventually torn apart due to their opposite beliefs – his in his discovery and hers in the sacred word of the Bible.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."