5 Horse Race Betting Tips
Don’t you wish you had a list of 5 horse race betting tips that will improve your chances at the race track? Betting on thoroughbreds can be a tricky business, especially if you don't know what you're doing. Try following these simple horse race betting tips to improve your odds.
- Check your horse's race history. Looking at the program for each race: You'll find a listing on each of the horses. Checking the results of recent races is one of the best horse race betting tips you can rely on. While you can never guarantee a long-shot won't come out of nowhere, statistics show that horses that have at least shown (come in first, second or third place) in their last four races stand a better chance of getting you in the money. It's also a good idea to check a horse's current medications as you may find some horses run better on Lasix or you prefer to bet on horses that are med-free.
- Check the track. Always be sure to compare the track conditions to what your particular horse likes to run on. Some horses do great on a muddy track while other horses don't run well at all. Some horses enjoy running on a dirt track but don't seem to do as well when they're running on the turf. Taking the time to look this over is another horse race betting tip. In fact, it can be the difference between a winning bet and a scrap of paper left in your hand.
- Pick your races. You don't need to place a bet on every single race that has a horse running in it (this is a sure way of going home with less money than you started with). Take your time and pick your races, looking for horses with good odds and reliable track records. It won't hurt to take that occasional trip to the restroom or get a cold drink.
- Check the odds. Betting on the favorite may seem like one of those sure-fire horse race betting tips, but it isn't always a smart move. For starters, favorites don't always win but, more importantly, favorites don't always have the best odds. For instance, if the favorite's odds are going to do little more than breaking even on a win, is it really worth betting on that horse? Instead, a good betting tip is to have a little fun and toss a spare change bet on a long-shot or on another good horse that isn't quite as popular. While there's a chance of winning big, don't forget that horse racing is supposed to be fun, too. That's a betting tip that's often forgotten!
- Choose your favorite jockeys and trainers. You'll hear different opinions of whether or not you should pay much attention to jockeys and horse trainers but don't forget, these are the people are training the horse you're betting on and, hopefully, riding him to victory. It can never hurt to take a look at the patterns and see who's consistently winning and who's name is coming up regularly. It means they must be doing something right.
Horse racing is a gamble, but these horse race betting tips should help you improve your chances at the race track. Remember to always bet responsibly and don't let things get out of hand. One of the best horse race betting tips you should remember is that you can easily get carried away--set yourself a limit and don't go overboard when you go have fun at the race track.