From the 1920's until today, here are 5 hott female gospel singers. All five croon melodies of faith and power, providing a soundtrack for common people.
- Aretha Franklin. Sure, she was a hot R&B singer, but long before she got into R&B, this daughter of a Baptist minister was belting out gospel solos with the church choir. An early influence, she claims, was another of the five hot female gospel singers, Albertina Walker.
- Mahalia Jackson. Despite her being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame long after her death, this member of the five hottest female gospel singers had only disdain for secular music. She lent her powerful soprano voice only to her first love, the music of the Sanctified church.
- Helen Baylor. This hot female gospel singer didn't get her start in gospel. She had been an R&B singer who opened for such acts as Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, and B.B. King. But that career was nipped in the bud by her drug addiction. Some years later, she joined the congregation of the Crenshaw Christian Center in Los Angeles, and before long she was recording gospel songs. Her first CD was on the Billboard charts for over a year, 27 weeks of that time, sitting at number one.
- Albertina Walker. A protege of Mahalia Jackson when Walker was young, she has earned her place on the list of five hottest female gospel singers with a career that has covered more than four decades and has seen the release of more than 60 albums. The “Queen of Gospel” has been on the receiving end of Grammy, Stellar and GMWA awards.
- Clara Ward. Founder of the Clara Ward Singers, Ward was a seminal figure in modern gospel music. One of the five hottest female gospel singers, she challenged every facet of gospel singing, including the belief that it could be sung only in church. She took it into nightclubs, onto radio, and then onto television, where millions more people were first exposed to this kind of music.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …