From the 1920's until today, here are 5 hott female gospel singers. All five croon melodies of faith and power, providing a soundtrack for common people.
- Aretha Franklin. Sure, she was a hot R&B singer, but long before she got into R&B, this daughter of a Baptist minister was belting out gospel solos with the church choir. An early influence, she claims, was another of the five hot female gospel singers, Albertina Walker.
- Mahalia Jackson. Despite her being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame long after her death, this member of the five hottest female gospel singers had only disdain for secular music. She lent her powerful soprano voice only to her first love, the music of the Sanctified church.
- Helen Baylor. This hot female gospel singer didn't get her start in gospel. She had been an R&B singer who opened for such acts as Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, and B.B. King. But that career was nipped in the bud by her drug addiction. Some years later, she joined the congregation of the Crenshaw Christian Center in Los Angeles, and before long she was recording gospel songs. Her first CD was on the Billboard charts for over a year, 27 weeks of that time, sitting at number one.
- Albertina Walker. A protege of Mahalia Jackson when Walker was young, she has earned her place on the list of five hottest female gospel singers with a career that has covered more than four decades and has seen the release of more than 60 albums. The “Queen of Gospel” has been on the receiving end of Grammy, Stellar and GMWA awards.
- Clara Ward. Founder of the Clara Ward Singers, Ward was a seminal figure in modern gospel music. One of the five hottest female gospel singers, she challenged every facet of gospel singing, including the belief that it could be sung only in church. She took it into nightclubs, onto radio, and then onto television, where millions more people were first exposed to this kind of music.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.