These 5 Indian Hijra recipes will make it fun and easy to celebrate the migration to Medinah. Many of these recipes are traditional, yet easy to make, ensuring that you will be able to fill your table with ease.
To make Hijra sweet and spicy drink, you will need:
- 6 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tbsp. cardamom
- 1 tbsp. rose water
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- Place milk, sugar and rice flour in pot on stove. Bring to a boil.
- Add almonds and boil for an additional ten minutes, stirring frequently.
- Turn off stove. Add rose water and cardamom. Stir thoroughly.
- Serve the Hirja recipe in individual cups.
To make Hijra mustard carrots, you will need:
- 1 lb. baby carrots
- 3 tbsp. powdered mustard
- 6 cups water
- 2 tbsp. sea salt
- Place water in pot and bring to a boil. Add carrots
- When water returns to a boil shut off burner and remove pot from heat. Let cool.
- Drain half of liquid from carrots.
- Add mustard and sea salt to pot.
- Refrigerate mixture for at least one day.
- Drain carrots prior to serving.
To make lentil salad, you will need:
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans, drained
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 green chili peppers, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- Juice from one lime
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Sea salt, as desired
- Boil lentils for 30 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients in bowl, adding salt as desired.
- Add lentils to bowl and mix well.
- Chill for at least twenty minutes.
- Serve the easy Hijra recipe by permitting guests to serve themselves.
To make the mustard fish Hijra recipe, you will need:
- 2 lbs. salmon, cut into chunks
- 3 tbsp. mustard seeds
- 5 chili peppers, diced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1/3 cup water
- Mustard fish. Combine mustard seed and chili peppers until they form a paste.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Cook onions until golden brown. Add mustard paste, combine.
- Add chili powder, tumeric and salt, if desired.
- Stir in water.
- Add salmon to skillet.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until liquid evaporates. Fish is done when it flakes easily when touched by a fork.
- Serve the recipe while still warm.
To make cardamom cookies, you will need:
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 12 almonds, split
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place butter and sugar in bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add flour and cardamom to mixture.
- Remove one tbsp. of dough and roll into a tube. Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Place one almond in the middle of each tube. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve the Hijra dessert as the finishing touch to your other Hijra recipes.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.