5 Internet Dating Secrets
Need to know 5 internet dating secrets? With the increasing popularity of going online to meet people, there is often fierce competition. Knowing a couple of internet dating secrets can give you the edge over another to make your online dating experience successful.
- Your name is a first impression. Unlike face-to-face introductions, where the very first impression is decided within seconds of seeing the other person, online dating doesn’t have that same advantage. Instead your first impression is often decided by online profile name. It’s one of those internet dating secrets that some may not even consider. But, according to a study at Nottingham Trent University, they found that names that sounded flirty or playful were preferred over any other name. Names that described physical characteristics ranked a close second. So before you choose a name that is generic, plain or suggests being wealthy; decide otherwise because those names ranked among the bottom. What name you choose already sets the basis for whether or not another person chooses to contact you.
- Originality goes a long way. In a sea of thousands of people all on the same dating website, it’s imperative to set yourself apart. Take the time to think about what you want to say about yourself on your profile. If it sounds completely generic or you’ve seen profiles that sound similar to yours, you may want to re-write it. The same goes when you send a message. Many people dating sites can receive several messages a day and if yours doesn’t stand out as original, it may just end up at the bottom of their inbox rather than warranting a response.
- Be confident. Dating online and meeting strangers can, but remember that you must be confident if you ever expect to get what you want from online dating. If you are getting over a breakup, don’t write up a sad profile about being heartbroken; no one will want to contact someone who is still reeling over their previous relationship. Also, never come off too desperate. It’s ok to give compliments but don’t go overboard.
- Have realistic expectations. Let’s face it, it’s no internet dating secret that people will lie, exaggerate and put up false photos and information on their online dating profiles. Expect that the person you’re talking to online may not be telling the entire truth. You shouldn’t assume that everyone is lying, but don’t allow yourself to fall for women who sound too good to be true.
- Cut to the chase. It’s smart to exchange messages online first before moving forward but a good internet dating secret to follow is to cut to the chase in all of your messages and try to meet as soon as possible. It is really a waste of time to send messages that have no real substance. So have a purpose in your messages to get the most out of your contact with those you meet online. Cutting to the chase in your messages also allows for you to meet in person as soon as possible. Don’t drag online contact for a long period time. If you’re interested, you need to meet in person to determine where this will go.