5 Japanese Anime DVDs You Should Own
Although there are several truly great anime movies out there, but there are at least 5 Japanese Anime DVDs you should own if you are a true lover of the art form. Here are the five anime movies no DVD collection would be complete without.
- "Akira" A true masterpiece. "Akira" has everything an anime movie should have. A hero with strange powers? Check. A fight for survival in a post apocalyptic world? Check. A pre-requisite feisty female sidekick? You got it. Plus one scary-ass Teddy Bear freak-out that will have you hiding your stuffed animals under the bed. A must see for everyone, anime and non-anime movie lovers alike, this 1988 film has been restored and re-mastered on DVD for your viewing pleasure.
- "Ninja Scroll" A village wiped out by plague, an anti-government conspiracy and a hoard of killer demons. Oh, and of course ninjas. How can you go wrong? It's violent bloody fun but with a compelling story line that's guaranteed to keep you interested. This 1993 film is available in both the original version and a anniversary edition on DVD.
- "Ghost in the Shell" One of the few anime films to receive world-wide release in theaters is also one of the best anime movies overall. A female cyborg, working for a secret police organization must come to grips with who she is while fighting baddies. While the story line may be hard to follow (it an anime after all), it's worth it for the lush visuals and great characterization that's missing in a lot of the action films today. It's "Robocop" meets "The Matrix" and you'll love every crazy moment of it. This film is available on DVD and Blu-ray as well.
- "Spirited Away" Not all good anime is violent, some of it can be downright charming. Spirited Away is the coming of age story of a 10 year old girl as she's whisked away into a world of monsters and spirits. With beautiful artwork, fantastic characters, and some of the best dubbing around, this movie should be at the top of every anime lovers list. And a bonus, it's one you can actually watch with your little sister. Available on DVD and Blu-ray.
- "Vampire Hunter D" "Vampire Hunter D" plays out like a Clint Eastwood movie with fangs. An impassive vampire hunter of the lone wolf archetype, rides into a western town on his horse, saves the girl and her little brother from the bad guy, then rides off into the sunset. Sounds simple enough. Except the hero is a half-vampire with a wise-cracking left hand as a sidekick. And the bad guy is a 10,000 year old vampire with a kick-ass army of mutants and demons. If you can't get enough of the guy, check out the sequel "Bloodlust" for even more vampire killing fun.
Posted on: Nov. 25, 2010