5 Kosher Recipes For Summer
As the temperature rises each day, so does the interest in finding five Kosher recipes for summer that are fun and easy to prepare. The extraordinary recipes listed here feature a fusion of flavors to suit all tastes. The culinary journey through these five classic kosher summer recipes include: crunchy tuna salad, hummus pita bread sandwhich, salad, waffles and dessert.
To make crunchy tuna salad you will need:
- 16 oz. container low fat cottage cheese
- 6 oz. can tuna in water, drained, flaked
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp. dill weed
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well and serve. Be sure to keep any leftovers refrigerated.
To make a vegetable hummus pita bread sandwich you will need:
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- three tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- tbsp. sesame seeds,
- tbsp. low calorie mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tbsp. red pepper
- 1/2 tsp. mint flakes
- 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
- whole wheat pita bread, cut into halves
- 1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese
- two cups alfalfa sprouts,
- medium tomato, cut into eight slices
- food processor
- Combine your ingredients. Place the green onions, green pepper, parsley, sesame seeds, mayonnaise, oregano, garlic powder, red pepper and mint flakes in the casserole dish. Cover with plastic, wrap and vent.
- Microwave for three minutes. Place mixture and garbanzo beans in a food processor. Process until smooth. Then, spoon about 1/4 of the bean mixture into each pita half.
- Top with tbsp. of heese. Cover with paper towels and microwave for one minute.
- Cut tomato slices in half. Place two tomato slice halves and 1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts into each sandwich half.
To make a romaine lettuce salad you will need:
- romaine lettuce leaves
- carrots, peeled, sliced into rounds
- black olives, halved
- green peppers, cut into strips
- parboiled asparagus, cut into strips
- kosher vinaigrette dressing
Place a romaine leaf on each salad plate to serve as the cradle.
- Fill lettuce with other ingredients. Mix well.
- Drizzle vinaigrette dressing on top. Serve and enjoy!
To make waffles you will need:
two egg yolks
- two cups milk
- two cups all-purpose flour
- tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup oil
- two stiffly beaten egg whites
Preheat waffle maker.
Put all ingredients except egg whites in large mixing bowl. Beat on low until moistened. Then increase to medium and mix until smooth.
By hand, gently fold in beaten egg whites. Pour 1/2 cup batter over griddle.
- Close waffle maker. Bake for roughly three to five minutes. Repeat as necessary.
To make a Kosher almond cake you will need:
- cup blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- two large eggs
- stick unsalted butter
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup raspberry preserves
- two cups sliced fruit, bananas, strawberries, raspberries, kiwi or peaches
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- three tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Butter and line a nine-inch cake pan with parchment paper. Chop almonds in food processor. Add the sugar and eggs and process for one minute.
- Add the butter and salt. Process for an additional minute.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack in pan. When cool, carefully un-mold the cake from the pan.
- Melt raspberry preserves and spread over cake. Slice fruit and arrange over cake. Combine apricot preserves and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Heat until melted. Strain and drizzle over fruit.