5 Low Calorie Breakfast Recipes
These five low calorie breakfast recipes will help you to get the day off to a healthy start. A low calorie breakfast doesn’t have to be boring. Having breakfast recipes on hand can provide you with an easy low calorie breakfast.
To make breakfast burritos, you will need:
- 2 eggs
- Cooking spray
- 2 flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Break the eggs into a bowl. Beat eggs gently.
- Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Pour the eggs into the pan, stir and cook over medium low heat until the eggs are cooked. Remove eggs from the skillet and wipe out the skillet.
- Heat tortillas in the skillet about fifteen seconds on each side. Put half of the eggs in each tortilla. Top with cheese and salsa and roll up the tortillas.
To make fruit kabobs with yogurt dip, you will need:
- 30 toothpicks or small skewers
- 2 cups of fruit such as apple, pear, banana, kiwi, grapes, mandarin oranges or chunks of pineapple
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 container fruit yogurt
- Cut fruit into chunks. Dip fruit that turns dark in the lemon juice.
- Thread fruit on skewers or toothpicks. Arrange on a plate.
- Dip the fruit in the yogurt. Then eat for breakfast.
To make an egg and salmon breakfast sandwich, you will need:
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ounce smoked salmon
- 1 slice tomato
- 1 whole-wheat English muffin, split and toasted
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, about one minute.
- Add egg whites and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until whites are set, about 30 seconds.
- Now make the sandwich. Layer the egg whites, smoked salmon and tomato on English muffin.
To make mini mushroom and sausage quiches, you will need:
- 8 ounces turkey breakfast sausage, crumbled into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup of 1 percent milk
- Position rack in center of oven. Preheat to 325°F. Coat a nonstick muffin tin generously with cooking spray or insert muffin cups into muffin tin.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add breakfast sausage and cook until golden brown, six to eight minutes.
- Add oil to the pan. Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown.
- Transfer mushrooms to the bowl with the breakfast sausage. Stir in scallions, cheese and pepper.
- Whisk eggs and whites with milk in a bowl. Pour the egg mixture into the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle sausage into each cup.
- Bake until the tops are just beginning to brown, 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for five minutes.
- Turn the quiches out onto the rack. Let cool.
To make banana bran muffins, you will need:
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 medium mashed ripe bananas
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat twelve muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk eggs sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in bananas, buttermilk, wheat bran, oil and vanilla.
- Whisk both flours together. Add baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin cups. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, fifteen to twenty-five minutes. Let cool in for five minutes.
- Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool. Make these the night before for the next day’s low calorie breakfast.